Friday, March 7, 2008

Can a fruit change PT?

Next time you see a doctor, check their hip.  Most likely you will see a smartphone clipped to their side.  For the medical world, a smartphone is much more than a status symbol, but a powerful tool that helps them check drug interactions, look up billing codes, and even help make a diagnosis.  So far physical therapists have been reluctant it seems to embrace some technologies, but a recent article highlighting the release of the Apple iPhone's SDK and its potential for the development of applications aiding the medical field got me thinking about the possibilities for physical therapists.  How cool would it be to have pictures and descriptions of special tests, exercises, or even anatomy at your fingertips?  I'm just a student, so I would love anything that could make the diagnosis and treatment of my future patients easier.  What's your opinion?

1 comments:

Chrissie said...

Bring it on! My fingertips are already glued to my computer continually referring to past lecture powerpoints, viewing podcasts of orthopaedic special tests, checking out the hot topics on our professor's blog, and "googleing" novel topics. I am pretty sure most of our fellow physical therapy students are very similar. Why should it stop once we are practicing clinicians? Who wouldn't appreciate receiving treatment provided by a Physical Therapist using modern technology to supplement their knowledge and skills with current evidence-based clinical information at their fingertips? Everyone wants the best for themselves, and I personally want to provide the best for my patients...seems like a perfect scenario to implement the new technology. My prediction...Technology in Medicine, the newest addition to the Doctor of Physical Therapy curriculum. Imagine the possibilities.
;)Chrissie
Student Physical Therapist